Performance boaters from Northern California and surrounding areas gathered in Discovery Bay on Aug. 17-18 for the latest edition of the Big Cat Poker Run. Event sponsor Bob Teague of Teague Custom Marine kicked off Saturday’s main event with a Driver’s Meeting before the fleet—consisting largely of big-cubic-inch Skaters, DCBs, Eliminators, Formulas, Fountains and Nordics—took off for a brief stop at Humphrey’s on the Delta (Antioch, CA) and a lunch stop at the Waterfront Hotel in Stockton.
The event, which is presented by the Discovery Bay Lions Club, raises thousands of dollars for local charities. Participants typically stay at the Hampton Inn or the Holiday Inn in Brentwood, CA. The ticket price includes one poker hand, event T-shirt and hat, meals, the poker run, evening party with food and entertainment, and live entertainment.
Some of the participating boats in the 2012 run included:
• Ragamuffin, a Skater with triple outboards, owned by Thaddeus Findley of Los Angeles.
• Splittin’ Tens, a DCB F29 owned by Bob McKenna of San Jose.
• Dragon Lady, a Nordic 35′ Flame owned by Bill Helfrick of Discovery Bay.
• Hardline, a 42-foot Cigarette owned by Kevin Schulte of Simi Valley.
• Pay 2 Play, a 29-foot Fountain owned by Jay Schriefer of El Dorado Hills.